Hampshire ICT Conference
Ward Cunningham 2001, Agile Manifesto
Miles Berry, 27 June 2013
Johann Sperl, Neue Pinakothek, München
Latin paedagōgus (also pēdagōgus ) teacher, schoolmaster, slave who took children to and from school
ancient Greek παιδαγωγός slave who took children to and from school
learning as “building knowledge structures” ... happens especially felicitously in a context where the learner is consciously engaged in constructing a public entity
cc by-nc Malcolm Browne
CC by Hamed Saber
The National Curriculum for computing aims to ensure that all pupils:
- can understand and apply the fundamental principles of computer science, including logic, algorithms, data representation, and communication
- can analyse problems in computational terms, and have repeated practical experience of writing computer programs in order to solve such problems
- can evaluate and apply information technology, including new or unfamiliar technologies, analytically to solve problems
- are responsible, competent, confident and creative users of information and communication technology.
And I will count it as a success when teachers are able actually to laminate their lesson plans and recycle them from September to September.
Nick Gibb, May 2012
Planning - assessment cycle
Agile development tools
cc by-nd Martijn Nijenhuis
We are uncovering better ways of developing software by doing it and helping others do it. Through this work we have come to value:
Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
Working software over comprehensive documentation
Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
Responding to change over following a plan
That is, while there is value in the items on the right, we value the items on the left more.
Welcome changing requirements, even late in
development. Agile processes harness change for
the customer's competitive advantage.
Agile Manifesto, Image CC by-nc MoShotz
Build projects around motivated individuals.
Give them the environment and support they need,
and trust them to get the job done.
Agile Manifesto, Image CC by-nc Sussex Soccer
Simplicity - the art of maximizing the amount
of work not done - is essential.
Agile Manifesto, Image CC by-nc GardenBeth
At regular intervals, the team reflects on how
to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts
its behavior accordingly.
Agile Manifesto, Image CC by-nc-sa Amanda
That product which has just those features (and no more) that allows you to ship a product
Ries, 2009, Image © CNET News
Schwaber 2009, Image CC by-nc-sa Jonny Ross
- Product backlog
- Sprint planning meeting
- Sprint backlog task
- Sprint retrospective meeting
- Sprint review meeting
Schwaber and Beedle, 2002, Image CC by-nc cgt
- What have you done since the last daily scrum regarding this project
- What will you do between now and the next daily scrum regarding this project
- What impedes you from perfomring your work as effectively as possible
cc by-nc macfred64
As aspiring Software Craftsmen we are raising the bar of professional software development by practicing it and helping others learn the craft.
Through this work we have come to value:
- Not only working software,
but also well-crafted software
Not only responding to change,
but also steadily adding value
Not only individuals and interactions,
but also a community of professionals
Not only customer collaboration,
but also productive partnerships
That is, in pursuit of the items on the left we have found the items on the right to be indispensable.
It is by fixing things that we often get to understand how they work.
Teaching as a design science
Teachers acting as design scientists would observe four basic precepts, to
- keep improving their practice,
- have a principled way of designing and testing improvements in practice,
- build on the work of others,
- represent and share their pedagogic practice, the outcomes they achieved, and how these related to the elements of their design.
cc by-nc-nd kennysarmy
Test driven development ... encourages simple designs and test suites that inspire confidence.
- Write a failing automated test before you write any code
- Remove duplication
© Press Association 2013